Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cup of Good Cheer - Double Masking Tutorial and Matching Tag

This month I did a card and tag with my classes. It was basically a "stamp twice" class. For each card we made, there was a matching tag so while you had the stamp in hand - ink and stamp once for the card and ink again and stamp on the tag.

Here's the first one featuring Cup of Good Cheer. And, to add to the fun, I did a double-masking technique to create a scene with the cup.

First stamp the marshmallows with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink.

Make a mask with a post-it note and cut out the marshmallows. Place those marshmallow mask over the stamped marshmallows (see blurry photo below). This mask has been well-used but as long as it sticks, it's good to go. :)
Once the mask is in place, take the cup and stamp it with the memento tuxedo ink. I lined up the stamp with the upper edge of the cup so that I covered the marshmallows but didn't go too high or too low.
The next step is to add the cup mask. Leave the marshmallow mask in place and place the cup mask over the top. You can see that I just cut out a bit of the post-it note so that the cup was covered and it overlaps the marshmallow mask. You'll see why in a minute. It's so fun to create layers.
Now, stamp the stir stick with berry ink. I used berry instead of cherry this time. Still so fun! See how messy the post-it note mask is? I used it with my classes. It was stamped over and over and keeps on going. :)
After you've stamped the stick, take off the cup mask.
Then, take off the marshmallow mask and voila! You have marshmallows piled over the edge of the hot cup of cocoa and the stir stick is in the back. The magic of masking. You get an interesting scene and all it takes is a little cutting of a post-it note. :)
Here's the finished card and tag. The berry background was embossed with the Grand Caliber using the tiny dots impression plate and since it's a white core cardstock, all it takes is a little sanding to create a wonderful background.
Here's the inside of the card and now you see where you stamp twice. :)
I hope you enjoyed this double-masking tutorial and I hope you try creating some scenes soon.

Stamp set: Cup of Good Cheer
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black and Berry
Cardstock: Sugar, berry and Onyx
Other: Blush and Seattle baker's cording, 3D Foam, Copic Marker, crop-a-dile

All products are available in my secure webstore: www.amusestudio.com/seleise

  Have a wonderfully creative day!!

1 comment:

Glittered Paws said...

Love your tutorials - they are so detailed and easy to follow. I have this set so I'm thinking I may have to make a couple of these this afternoon. TFS